Tuesday 12 March 2013

A new challenge ....

Finish line NZ Ironman 2013
Im back !

Some people are surprised but most are not, including my wife (Liza).  After finishing the 2013 NZ Ironman in a time I never thought possible, and being able to do it with realitive ease, the Ironman blues started to kick in.  So I needed to set new goals and unfortunately anything less than an Ironman felt like training and a short term goal.  I needed a BIG one!

On reflection, I had already started to make plans when I entered the lottery for the Kona Ironman, a 1:800 chance of winning a slot so Im not confident to get one.  But you gotta be in to win eh!  What better than to top a NZ Ironman, but to repeat an Ironman on a lava field, overseas and at the ultimate Ironman World Champs in Kona.

There are 3 ways for which I could try to get an entry, the first is to buy it on eBay however given there are only 4 slots sold in this way and in 2011 they sold in the range of 45k to 60k USD each, I dont see this as a viable option.  The next is the lottery which offers 100 slots to anyone wanting to enter and who has/will complete a qualifying race prior and thirdly you can qualify by being top in your age group, Yeah Right! I only need to go 3 hours faster.

So what to do ?? well it would seem the NZ Ironman 2014 is the 30th anniversary and as such, additional Kona slots are up for grabs.  50 allocated to age group qualifiers and an additional 10 as lottery open to all who are in the event, bringing those lottery odds down to 1:140.

On Friday I met with coach, when she asked if I would do another, I merely smiled, she laughed her ass off.  But I needed to check could I repeat an Ironman but significantly reduce the impact on family, friends and work i.e. I couldn't take another 3 months off work.  Her reply was muisc to my ears, it seems I have the base so can focus on maintaining this, then kick in the hard training 5 weeks out from race day.  Which we would plan this peak training around work etc... That was all I needed to hear before taking my plans to the wifee for the stamp of approval.

To be honest, I suspect Liza was expecting it and with my puppy dog eyes and the sight of me being so happy to do IM, I was a shoe in :) The green light given, I signed up for NZ Ironman 2014 yesterday and so the journey begins .....

2 comments:

  1. Yep - I was not surprised! In the period of post ironman blues it was obvious that this was a pending decision! Any I am so happy that you are grinning from ear to ear again. I do want to put on record that if this plans to become a habit for a number of years then we may need talk!!!!!

    ReplyDelete