Tuesday 23 April 2013

Lizas blog

Covered in road grit and muck from riders in front
Let me set the scene, cold, wet, early morning so still a little dark and we are out riding our bikes, Camp Mother and I with VB and Liza on her own. Then to really show how crap it was take a look at my photo, that dirty stuff on my jacket is the grit and dirt off the road.

A series of texts were received:

6:36 ":( I have a puncture"
6:37 "Rear wheel. I am going to gas up my wheel and head back to the car"
6:38 "I cant change a flatty in the pissing rain"
6:41 "OK that was fruitless. Flat again already I will bike home I guess"

Followed by:
"Got on my bike to go for my ride along Tamaki Drive.

Started to rain.
Not a good start.
Got to Ngapipi Road and thought “what is that funny noise coming from the back of my bike?”
Stopped and sure enough had a puncture.
It’s now persisting with rain.
Swore a few times.
Put myself under a tree and thought hmm, how do I fix this.
I have no idea – never taken a back wheel off, and never actually changed a tube.
It’s still pissing with rain.
I am getting very wet and cold.
I am getting pissy with the rain, the cold, the bike, and the stupid traffic that keeps driving in the puddles and splashing water around.
In fact I am pissy with everyone and everything!!!
It’s still pissing with rain.

So I thought, well maybe it was a slow leak. I’ll gas it up and see if I can get back to the car.
Found out that Chris has thrown away my nice little black caps I had on my valves.
Pissy again – I liked them, they looked neat and tidy.
Bah humbug!
Used the magic gas canister.
Could her the Phsssst of the air coming out faster than it was going in.
<insert expletive here>
Got angry at the wind, the rain, the trees,  the leaves, and the stone in my shoe.

Put my gas thingy away. Sent Chris some texts but figured she was way too busy riding hills.
Walked back to the car parked in Tyler Street.
It pissed with rain the whole way.
Took me 35 minutes to get back and walking in cycling shoes makes you look like you have some sort of affliction.
Figured new cleats are cheaper than a new wheel hence I refrained from my temptation to ride down hill

Just as I was putting everything back in the car to pack up, Chris arrived looking bedraggled and muddy
Its stopped raining.
Damn you weather god.

So at least all was not lost – I had coffee and breaky with Chris, Carron, Clint and Andrew.
Stupid *&^%$ing puncture.
Stupid bike

Went to work, had a shower, warmed up and had another coffee.
Life is feeling not so bad now!!!

So there endeth my story.  Have a great day everyone!!!"

1 comment: